4 WHEEL DRIVE

Ford Bronco

I have a 1994 Bronco. The problem I have is the 4wd will not work. I have confirmed that the motor is shifting on the tranfer case, the front drive shaft turns while in drive. The auto hubs engage with th axles when I turn them manually. Both axles turn when I turn them manually. The problem I believe is in the front diff. It doesn't seem like the drive shaft wants to turn the axles. Any suggestions would be great. It is a Dana 44 front axle. What is the easiest way to get the diff off without taking the whole front end apart.
Shee290

Isn't there transfer case on that vehicle that drives the front axle? I kind of think I would look at the transfer case first before I suspect the differential.

Bruce Hunt
I mentioned that in my question. The tranfer case is working properly. It engages into 4wd and the front drive shaft spins but it does not turn the front axles. Thanks

Shee290
IF the drive shaft functions from the transfer case to the pumpkin and it is rotating with a positive strong power and thus not just turning but slipping a bit, then there are only two culprits. Of course, you said the front axles are not turning so you will have to tear apart the pumpkin.

Bruce Hunt
I tore the pumpkin apart, and found nothing wrong. Everything inside is working the way it should and there is nothing broke. When I turned the yoke by hand the ring and pinion gears where both turning, thus making the axles turn as if they where there. I then put the axle shafts back in and turned them the same direction and the yoke was turning. So I am out of ideas as to why it will not turn the axles.

Shee290
Wow, you are a dedicated individual. I am going only by what you tell me but if the axles do not turn and you have gone through the diff. The only item left is the transfer case.

Bruce Hunt
Dedicated? Not really. It is very cold in my garage. It is snowing here in Michigan right now. I need to get it fixed, my driveway is uphill. I enjoy working on vehicles but not in the cold.

I see where you are coming from by saying it could be the transfer case, but my problem with that is, I can turn the drive shaft by hand when it is not engaged in 4wd. But when I engage it into 4wd I can no longer turn the drive shaft by hand. It " seems" to be engaged with the tranfer case. That is what is baffling me with what could be wrong.

Shee290
We haven't been given diagrams yet of the vehicle parts, etc. But there is a transfer motor in the differential case that does go out. I know not being able to turn it by hand seems to point to something else but there really isn't much else but the transer case. You can take off and crack it open. They are repairable.

Bruce Hunt
Well I guess that is my next step. : ( Like you said whatelse is there? ? That will be next weekends project. Thanks for the help. I will keep you posted as to what I find.

Bill

Shee290