SENSITIVE BRAKES

1996 Dodge Truck

Brakes problem
1996 Dodge Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 123000 miles

I just purchased a 1996 dodge 4x4 1500 ram truck with a problem with the brakes. The brakes are so touchy I nearly go thru the windshield when I brake. It seems the left rear catches 1st, then the front right. When I brake when driving say at 45mph the truck will pull hard to the right then when I keep applying pressure hard it will pull left. It seems the brakes grab quickly and hard.\R\n
Thank you
John16096

There is a several problems that could be causing this, you either have bad calipers, or the proportioning valve is malfunctioning, the proportioning valves is connected to the frame with a lever going to the rear suspension, it balances out the brake pressure depending upon the load in the back of the truck if the truck is empty it will apply more pressure to the front brakes, if the truck is loaded it will apply more pressure to the rear, the linkage connected to the proportioning valve may have been damaged due to going off the road, check the proportioning valve then Jack up the front, make sure the wheels spin freely with no resistance let me know what you find out.

Dr Loot