AIR CONDITIONER BLOWS OUT HOT AIR.

2004 Dodge Stratus

Air Conditioning problem
2004 Dodge Stratus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 61000 miles

I have a 2004 Dodge Stratus R/Tl with about 61000 miles on it. I have not had any problems except that all of a sudden the air conditioner stopped working. It blows out hot air only. I have had two people look at and one work on it. The first guy said that there was a hole in either the refrigerant or liquid line and no freon and quoted me at about $900 to fix. The second guy ran the dye thru and said that he could not detect any holes at alll and that the pressure was where it should be. He put freon in it and checked it periodically throughout the day and the air got as low as 59 degrees. That lasted about 2 days and it started blowing out hot air again. Nobody seems to be able to find anything else wrong with it. What else could it be? Also, just this last day when I started my car in the morning it made a coughing sound when I started it but then was normal. The weather has gotten cooler as low as high 40s could this be the problem? Thanks!
Sapphire0922

HI there,

Thank you for the donation,

If the second mechanic could not find a leak, why did he have to re gas the system? Well I think that if the system was low and he could not see any evidence of a leak with the dye, there may be a small leak at the evaporator, (this is hidden under the dash and you can't see it) you may have to get an electronic gas sniffer test in the vent as if the evaporator is leaking this will pick up refrigerant in the vents, try this next.

Mhpautos
First, the person who said their was a leak and no Freon was in the system seems to be wrong. If the system was working for 2 days, there has to be freon. Could their be a leak? Yes, there could. If you have the vehicle at the shop, they should have a freon sensor that basically is like a dog sniffing out its prey. If freon is present (leak), the sensor indicates it. Also, that would tell the mechanic where the leak is located.

Has the person who had it working checked for leaks?