BATTERY LIGHT

1998 Dodge Stratus

1998 Dodge Stratus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 158825 miles

Within the past four months the battery light began to turn on for a few minutes and then go off. Time of day, engine temperature or in motion/stopped makes no difference. In February the battery was replaced, the light did not go on for a few days. Then it began again and would stay on longer. In March while the car was in motion (53 mph/daytime) the odometer (digital display) began to flicker off and on, the car began to buck and there was a clicking sound (similar to turn signal click). The speedometer needle (not digital) would go up and down. I’m assuming due to engine cutting off. The car was stopped and would not start again eventually with a boost it was started again. Took the car to Checkers to have charging system checked. Everything read Ok and has not done that again but the battery light still goes on. Have not had any electrical work done other than radiator fans replaced and A/C compressor checked. Bad clutch on the compressor, could that cause the serpentine belt to lose some tension and affect the alternator?
Pgorro

I think the alternater is slowly going bad. It will show good at times and bad at times in this case. This may be tough to test it when it's bad as it is intermittant. IF the connections are good for the battery and alternater including ther grounds I would be very suspicious of the alternater. If checkers is a chain, I would look for an independent that is good with electrical work.