WHY WON'T MY TRANSMISSION ENGAGE INTO ANY GE

2001 Dodge Ram

2001 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 95000 miles

I have a 2001 ram 1500 with a 5.9 the truck has had a problem sometimes starting in drive for a while now not a big deal just start it in nutral! Well now I went to start my truck had no problem, pulled it out of the garage put it into park, let it run for like 5 minutes get back in it and Now it won't engage into any gear, tried to put it backinto park while running and it grinds/clicks put it into park with it off and it still will roll I have the tranny pan off and the linkege looks fine and everything moves as it should! Why won't my transmission engage? No codes either! Btw trans fluid was perfect and absolutly no metal shavings on the magnet in the tranny pan! Selanoid? If so which one? Please help! Thankyou, Luke.
Lipert85

Hi Lipert85. Welcome to the forum. This sounds like an issue with the transfer case. Is it in neutral? The grinding when you put it in park suggests the transmission is working and the output shaft going into the transfer case is spinning. You're hearing the parking pawl chattering on the spinning drum as it tries to drop into a notch. Normally that drum stops rotating when the driveshaft stops rotating.

Alright this is the farthest ive gotten! 4x4 is in nutral however when this all happend I put it in 4x4 to see what would happen while running and it didnt chatter as I put it in park however it didnt engage either?Its just so confusing this all happend two days go. Just a little bit ago I went out there tranny pan still off I turned the key shifted it and it engaged into park.(Wont roll as it did) so im assuming its gonna work now? But there was or still is something wrong would the transfercase need to be replaced? Also the problem starting in park sometimes but never a problem starting in nutral. Is this gonna be the nutral saftey switch? I appreciate all ur help and also if you keep helping me I dont have any problem donating more money>. Thanks, luke

Lipert85
Thank you for the donation, but think of it as a tip, not a requirement. Isn't it neat that the owners of this site don't insist on dollars to get help?

It is possible to have a defective neutral safety switch, but it's more likely the shifter linkage is slightly misadjusted and not allowing the lever in the transmission to go quite far enough in park to trip the switch. The fastest way to check is to pop the linkage apart at the transmission, put the shifter in park, move the lever on the transmission to park, then try to put the linkage back together. The link should line up nicely with the hole in the lever. If they are off, look for the adjustment and tweak it a little as necessary. By the way, as long as you have the lever on the transmission in park, try the starter to be sure it works. If it doesn't, the switch is bad, (that would be weird), or it isn't screwed in all the way.

Alright thanks again for ur help! Back to my engaging problem though? U had metioned the transfer case? I'm gonna put it back together tomorrow and if it does work, great but who's to say it's not gonna happen again? So what would need to be done? And thanks again for helping me, when I make well a (tip) is it gonna get to u again?

Lipert85
I'm guessing the transfer case got bumped into neutral or the shift linkage was not quite solidly in gear. The only other option would be if a chain or gear broke inside it, but then it wouldn't start working again. If this happens again, I would check the adjustment of the shifter linkage. I could envision it getting bent by hitting something while 4-wheeling, but even that would not be common. A loose mounting bracket would be more likely, but as I recall, it is mounted directly to the transfer case.

Don't worry about the donation. It is greatly appreciated and keeps my computers working, but the main thing is we know people who donate will remain in the conversation until the problem is solved. I am happy to answer free questions too, but there is less incentive to stick my nose in a book or make phone calls because many of those people never reply back. I don't even get to know how much you donated so it might already be more than average. Somehow it does get to me. Regardless of the amount, thank you.