MAF

1998 Dodge Ram

Computer problem
1998 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 168000 miles

Hi,
I am working on my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500. 360 c i. I bought this truck last April and have always gotten terrible mileage. I bought a can of Mass Air Flow cleaner however there are 2 sensors on the throttle body, front and rear. I am not sure where the Mass Air Flow is located on this engine and can not find one online to match it up to. Can you help?
Thanks,

Ron
Ron97824

Your vehicle dose not have a MAF sensor. It is equipped with a MAP (manifold absolute pressure)

Bluelightnin6
Would that MAP sensor cause poor gas mileage? Can it be cleaned? Any ideas about the poor mileage?

Ron97824
Yes, dirty / clogged MAP sensor will send wrong signals and mess up the fuel/air ratio which can lead to poor fuel mileage. However, this will usually cause the " check engine" light to appear. You can still try cleaning the MAP sensor. Turn the sensor upside down on a flat surface so that the sensor end of the MAP sensor is exposed. Spray the sensor liberally with electronic parts cleaner. Remove any visible signs of dust or other contaminates. The electronic parts cleaner will evaporate, so there is no need to wipe it down. For other fuel saving tips, remember to check your tire inflations, use fuel treatment, replace oxygen sensors and if fuel filter is clogged or old replace it as well. Hope this helps.

Bluelightnin6