HARD TO START WHEN COLD.

2002 Dodge Neon

Hey guys,
2002 Chrysler Neon
2.0L SOHC engine
65,000 KM
Auto transmission

Occasionally, when the car has been sitting overnight, it will take 5-6 attempts to start. Meaning that, I start it, it cranks 5 times, I shut it off, try it again, cranks 5 times, etc. Repeated 5-6 times before it starts. Sometimes, will start on the first attempt, but stalls right away. And then is hard to start.

Once it starts, runs ok.

After a 10 minute drive or so, re-starting is no problem.

Coincidentally - right when this started - my gas mileage dipped to 25 MPG from the usual 32 MPG.

My local dealer has advised that the battery has failed the load test and needs replacing. I am no expert by any means, but, it turns over fine, just has a hard time starting. Seeking a 2nd opinion here.

Appreciate any thoughts you guys could offer.

TIA,
Knapps
Knapps

Not that it has anything to do with the problem, but the car is 5yrs old, the battery is or should be just about done by now.I would start with a fuel pressure test to see if the pump is bleeding all pressure down overnight, this would cause a condition where you would have excessive cranking in the AM

Jack42