NO HEAT OR A/C ON ANY SETTINGS

2001 Dodge Dakota

Heater problem
2001 Dodge Dakota V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 139000 miles

The heat and a/c does not work on any settings. I tried a new blower motor which did not work either. I checked the wires to the blowere motor as well as the resistor using a test light and there seems to be no voltage going to these parts.
John Salitsky

Have you checked fuses? Is there power to the switch?

I checked the fuses in the fuse panel near the drivers side door and they were fine. I used a test light to check the wires for both the blower motor and resistor and there doesn't seem to be any power to those. How would I check to see if there's power to the switch. Do you mean the relay switch?

John Salitsky
Actually, I was refering to the switch on the dash. See if there is power to it and out when you turn the switch on.

Let me know what you find.

Is there a way to check that without removing the dash? I could remove it if I have to I've done it before, but was just cusious if there was a way to do it without removing it.

Edit: actually now that I think about it when I turn the switch on the dash to the a/c setting the compressor under the hood comes on, I can hear it start running and the light that indicates the a/c is on lights up. I would think that would mean there is power to it. Also when changing the the different heat settings from defoggers to the vents you can hear them changing.

John Salitsky
The air flow vents are actuated by engine vacuum, so they will still work if there is no power. As far as the switch itself, there may be power to it but not out. Have you checked the relay in the power distribution box under the hood?

As far as the switch, the bezel that covers or trims the radio and heater control comes off. Under it are a couple bolts that hold the unit in place. If I recall, the bezel is actually mounted with non other than valcro. Be careful removing it to make sure that is correct.
Let me know what you find.

Wow, thanks for the great info Joe. I appreciate you taking the time. I'll check on removing that trim to get to the heating switch wires and see if that's it. I checked in the power distribution box under the hood but was unsure which relay was specifically for the blower motor. If I recall correctly there was one labeled A/C and one labeled HE VAC. It might be easier for me to just replace the relay first and see if that's it since they're not that expensie to buy. I just have to figure out which one it is that relates to the problem.

John Salitsky
Actually, if you check the other relays, you'll find ones with the same part numbers. Just switch them to see if it is bad. If it is, then get one.

The dim light in my head just brightened up! I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks again Joe, I'll let you know what happens. Hopefully it's something as simple as the relay.

John Salitsky
Let me know what you find.