SPEEDOMETER NEEDLE

2003 Dodge Caravan

2003 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 62000 miles

The speedometer needle on my Caravan is now below the peg. It hangs down to about the 7 oclock position. When I open the drivers door it jumps up to about 1/16 inch below the peg. When I turn the ignition switch on it moves tight up against the peg. Odometer still works. No warning lights. No other problems.
DAN5667

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - SELF-DIAGNOSTICS
The instrument clusters are equipped with a self diagnostic test feature to help identify electronic problems. Prior to any test, perform the Self-Diagnostic Test. The self diagnostic system displays instrument cluster stored fault codes in the odometer display, sweeps the gauges to the calibration points, and bulb checks the warning indicators. When the key is in the ON position with the engine not running, the MIL will remain illuminated for regulatory purposes.
To activate the Self-Diagnostic program:
1.With the ignition switch in the OFF position, depress the TRIP ODOMETER RESET button. 2.Continue to hold the TRIP ODOMETER RESET button until Sof and a number (software version number (i.e. Sof 3.2 ) appears in the odometer window then release the button. If a fault code is present, the cluster will display it in the odometer display. When all fault codes have been displayed, the cluster will display "end" in the odometer display. Refer to the INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DTC'S table to determine what each trouble code means.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Clustera_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Clusterb_3.jpg

Merlin2021
Ran the Trip Odometer Reset procedure. The system ran the cluster calibration and everything is back to normal.

DAN5667
Ok great, your welcome.

Merlin2021
Hi, I tried your procedure with the reset odometer button, but it didn't work, I have a 1996 chrysler intrepid, is it too old to have that program in it?

Hty
What problems are you having?

Merlin2021
I replace the battery in my car, then the speedometer needle jumped to the other side of the peg. Then I tried to reset the it by pressing the reset odometer button, but it didn't work somehow. What can I do now? Thanks

Hty
QUICK TEST 1. As a quick diagnosis, instrument cluster will perform a function check immediately after ignition is switched to RUN/START position. Electronic display, odometer/transmission range indicator and all warning lights EXCEPT low fuel, cruise, high beam, fog lamps and turn signal will light for a brief period. 2. If cluster is not receiving CCD bus messages, cluster will appear non-functional except for the continuously illuminated air bag indicator, and NO BUS message displayed. If instrument cluster in not receiving CCD bus messages, see appropriate VEHICLE COMMUNICATIONS article. CAUTION: When battery is disconnected, vehicle computer and memory systems may lose memory data. Driveability problems may exist until computer systems have completed a relearn cycle. See COMPUTER RELEARN PROCEDURES article in GENERAL INFORMATION before disconnecting battery. WARNING: Disconnect negative battery cable BEFORE servicing instrument panel. When power is required for test purposes, reconnect battery for specific test purpose ONLY. After specific test is completed, disconnect negative battery cable before continuing servicing procedures. Page 1 of 1 INSTRUMENT PANEL - ANALOG -1996 Dodge Intrepid 3/15/2009
Should reset by itself when you turn the key to start.
If not it needs to be scanned, but I would try removing the fuse for the cluster and leave it out for a minute and reinstall it, then retry the key. If that doesnt work, remove the neg battery cable leave off for a minute and retry.

Merlin2021
I think the last instruction will do it. Maybe your odometer receive a sudden jump of electricity. Removing fuse will most likely reset it to its original position.

KarenCaren
Check the date on this, It's probably fixed, no further reply made usually indicates a successful repair.

Merlin2021
I had a similar problem. The test procedure resolve the problem and speed and RPM indicator are operating again.

Thanks,

Michel

Mgirard
Page 1 of 2