FRONT PASSENGER WHEEL HOT, BRAKES MUSHY,

1992 Dodge Caravan

Brakes problem
1992 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 141000 miles

Noticed a burnt brake smell, brake light came on (parking brake pedal was not depressed), and mushy brakes while driving. The brake fluid level is good. When looking at the front passenger wheel, I noticed the valve stem cap for the tire was melted onto the stem. I had just filled that tire with air last night, and the valve stem cap was fine. I'm thinking the parking brake may not have fully released from the last time it was depressed. If that is the case, what is involved in repairing?
Hyknwolf

Hi Hyknwolf,

Thank you for the donation.

The parking brakes are at rear wheels so do not affect the front brakes.

The problem is most probably caused by a sticking caliper piston. You would need to remove the caliper and test if it is stuck and not returning to give the pads sufficient clearance to prevent premature wear and seizing of brake pads.

Other possible causes would be seized slider bolts, bad/clogged flexible hoses or proportioning control valve (ABS pump if equipped).