... TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

1996 Chrysler LHS

I just recently purchased my 1996 Chrysler LHS, 83K mileage and believe I'm the 2nd owner. I don't know any of the vehicle history prior to purchasing it.

My problem? Well, it just seems to forget to shift into 3rd gear periodically -- there is no rhyme or reason as to when it does it. I can pull over, turn the car off, restart the car and it will shift perfectly. I haven't noticed any slipping of the transmission and only notice hard shifting when shifting into 2nd when on an incline.

I've checked the transmission fluid, which I think is full -- it was really hard to tell. The transmission fluid is a pinkish/reddish color and doesn't have a burnt smell to it.

Should the transmission fluid be checked with the vehicle running? And, is there any particular type of transmission fluid that should be used?

I appreciate any help I can get. : D
Crazibug

Fluid type should be on the dipstick. If it forgets to shift into 3rd. Alzheimers? No. Really got to a tranny shop and nip a serious problem in the bud.

Merlin2021
As far as the trans shift problem, it could be as simple as replacing the input and output sensors, but that is just the start. It may solve the problem, it may not.

Now for the answers to the easy questions.
Check the level w/the car running in park on level ground.
The ONLY fluid to use for these transmissions is ATF +3.
Dexron WILL destroy it eventually. Do not let anybody tell you it will work. Learned the hard way on a 94 New Yorker.

Goonior
Hello there,
I have a 1997 Chrylser LHS clocked in at about 250000 kms. Its also butstill drives like a beauty. My dad used to drive it, took real good care of it, now he gave it to me.
I am having a problem with the antifreeze. It leaks sometimes, which causes the car to overheat and such.

Is there anything I could do to fix this. Other than
constantly checking the amount of antifreeze.
Could also include a possible estmate if you know a way to repair the problem.

Thanks a lot.
Kmenezes

Kmenezes
I have a 94 LHS with 94000 miles on it. I found that if I tromp on it like when I'm getting on the highway or pulling out into traffic then it won't shiftout of 2nd until it hit's like 40. So I just slowly slide into traffic. The car is a good car but the value is not worth putting a new tranny in it

Mverick
Fluid typ is now ATF+4. Chrysler TSB states that you should remove the pan, check for clutch material, if any is found there are new clutch plates, and if none found, change fluid, drive for ten miles and change fluid and screen again.

Merlin2021