CHEVY LOW PEDAL - GOES TO FLOOR, SOFT BRAKES-

1996 Chevrolet Truck

Brakes problem
1996 Chevy Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 125K miles

1995 Chevy, Ext Cab, HD K2500, Silverado, ABS Brakes, Vacumm Assisted Power Brakes.

I had good brakes firm pedal, pedal only moved about 1/3 distance to floor to attain firm solid braking action.

Then-- inspected front disk brake pads, needed replacement. Remover wheels, depressed brake caliper pistons, removed calipers, replaced disk pads, reinstalled calipers and wheelsStarted truck, actuated brake several times to reset disck pads,

Now I have soft pedal, low pedal, pedal would travel all the way to the floor with steady foot pressure. ---
Replaced master cylinder, bench bled master cylinder, bled front brakes did the same DAMN THING! ---

Thought new master cylinder might be bad, took new master cylinder back to parts store, exchanged master cylinder for ANOTHER NEW MASTER CYLINDER-- bench bled new master cylinder, put the second new master cylinder on truck, bled front brakes, started truck, tried brakes SAME DAMN THING, had soft pedal, low pedal, pedal would travel all the way to the floor with steady foot pressure. ----

While both new master cylinders were installed on the truck, removed cap from master cylinder, stepped on brake pedal, brake fluid squirted like a fountain out of the reservoir neared the winshield on both new master cylinders, even after the master cylinder secondary piston moved past the fluid inlet hole located in the reservoir. What the hell has happened to the master cylinders?---I do not know if the truck is even safe to drive with the soft pedal, low pedal, pedal that travels all the way to the floor with steady foot pressure.----

Please help-- do you have any ideas what might have happend? ----

Thanks Bob Zinter, Aurora, CO, ESDLs@Yahoo. Com
ESDLs

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

I would get hold of 3 brake hose clamps and clamp off all the flexible brake hoses, see how the pedal is then, if it is high and hard the problem will be in one of the brakes, do this test first.

Mhpautos
See my previous/first email to you---

Dear Mark (mhpautos), Certified 2CarPros Master Technician: I have suspected that the ABS might be the problem, as when I first bought the truck I had the same proplem, but after I changed the Master Cylinder the problem went away.-- The problem that the truck had when I first bought it was as follows----
Soft Brake Pedal, very weak braking power, excessive pedal travel. One day when I was driving the truck on an icy road and had to stop the front wheels began to slip on the ice and the ABS kicked in--after the truck stopped and the red light turned green, I drove to the next red light and when I stepped on the brake-- the brakes worked absolutely perfect-- very little pedal travel, firm brakes pedal, the truck stopped better than it ever did. Then for no reason at all the brakes would go back to soft pedal and excessive pedal travel again-- so I would find an icy patch of road and intentionally skid the front wheels to activate the ABS and most of the time the brakes would begin to work perfectly again. This went on for about a month, then it stopped and never happened again for about a year, until last week whene I changed the front disk brake pads and it began again.--- Does this additional info provide you with any additional clues on what might be happening to my truck braking system?-- See my last/first Email to you.----Thanks, Bob Zinter

ESDLs
Have you re scanned to check for a fault code, you don't always get a fault light up with a code set in the ecu.

Mark

Mhpautos
I will see what technical information I can get my hands on, but as I am in Aust I may not find what I want, if not I will hand this problem over to a U.S. Tech that may have a better access to relevant information.

Mark

Mhpautos