WORRIED - SAFETY OF AN IN TANK ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP

Chevrolet Impala

Today a friend of mine showed me the in-tank electric fuel pump of my 1993 Mercury Tracer.

He said -It`s incredible how this electric thing with bare wires at it`s connection points is submerged in gasoline and doesn`t cause a fire-

I have not slept since.

How dangerous is an in-tank ELECTRIC fuel pump?.

Has anyone wondered what if there`s a spark caused by this in-tank electric motor of the fuel pump?.

Why doesn`t the motor or cable endings short circuit when submerged in gasoline?

Look at a picture here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_pump

I`m really confused and worried, so comments, opinions, links and professional advise are very welcome.

Thanks.

The no sleeping guy.
Gustavo J

Please post in the correct forum. The moderators in each forum are more familiar with that brand of vehicle
Thanx

Jack42
All fuel injected autos have in tank fuel pumps. That goes back well over twenty years and for millions of autos worldwide. The electrical connections are not submerged. Get some rest. : D

Peppermrj