CHEVY TRANSMISSION FLUID DRAIN AND FILL

2005 Chevrolet Equinox

2005 Chevy Equinox 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 92500 miles

I see where the dipstick is but there is a lot of wires and other obsticales blocking it. The only thing I can think of is putting a jack underneath the transmission and removing the transmission mount. My question is will this work and not damage the the tranny? Is there an easier way? My car has the 3.4L
Chasjernigan

Hi chasjernigan, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

TRANSAXLE FLUID REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

Raise and support the vehicle.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_t1_32.jpg

Remove the drain plug and drain fluid. Allow at least 5 minutes for the fluid to drain completely.
Remove the gasket from the drain plug and discard.
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

Install the new gasket on the drain plug.
NOTICE: Refer to Component Fastener Tightening Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Install the drain plug.
TIGHTEN
Drain plug to 40 Nm (30 lb ft)

Make sure vehicle is level.
IMPORTANT: Dexron III automatic transmission fluid is NOT compatible with this transaxle. If Dexron III ATF is used, transaxle failure will result. This transaxle uses GM T-IV fluid P/N 88900925.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_t2_20.jpg

Remove the fluid level indicator located behind the front transaxle mount.
NOTICE: Do not remove the 3rd gear anchor band bolt located on top of the transmission for checking fluid or adding fluid. Removing the bolt will dislocate internal components and require the transmission to be removed from the vehicle and disassembled for repair.

Add approximately 3.1L (3.3 quart) of GM T-IV fluid to the transaxle, using the fluid level indicator location.
IMPORTANT: If the check is necessary at a low oil temperature of 30 -40 C (86 -104 F), perform check using the "COLD" range on the level gage. However, the fluid must be re-checked at the proper fluid temperature.

Start engine and operate vehicle until transaxle fluid temperature reaches 60 -70 C (140 -158 F).
Apply parking brake.
Depress brake pedal and move shift lever slowly through all gear ranges from park (P) to low (liter), pausing for about 3 seconds in each range. Return shift lever to park (P) range at idle condition.
Pull level gauge out again and check if fluid level is within the "HOT" range.
If fluid is not within the correct level, adjust accordingly:
If fluid is below the "HOT" range, add enough to bring it up to the correct level.
If fluid is above "HOT" range, drain excess fluid.
Install the fluid level indicator.