CHEVY WHAT IS THE HEATER CORE

1999 Chevrolet Blazer

Heater problem
1999 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 91,000 miles

I hear under acceleration (not all the time) water (fluid) sounds inside the passenger compartment. I made an appt. Today, they said it could be a couple of things but then said the heater core & how expensive that is. Could you explain what is a heater core & why it could cost ~$1,000 to repair?
I see nothing wet inside the compartment, & nothing on the ground under the S-10 Blazer 4-Dr.
Tlswinkelman

What you are likely hearing is actually a common thing with an S Blazer. If you don't find any wet areas inside the vehicle or smell coolant it probably isn't a bad heater core. What you are hearing is air trapped inside the cooling system. The easy repair is called burping the system.
You can do this yourself easily. Park your vehicle so that the right front is as high as possible. (I use a convenient bank on the lawn!) Now with the engine cool open the radiator cap. Top the coolant up and start the engine. Watch the coolant level and it should drop a bit when the thermostat opens. Once that happens top it up again. Then put the cap on. Now top up the coolant reservoir as well. Drive around some and let the engine cool again. Repeat the burping and you should be all set.

SWilliams