NO START... ENGINE DOES NOT TURN OVER

1998 Buick Regal

1998 Buick Regal 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 117000 miles

the car has always been starting fine. Went to the store and when I came out, turned on key, all the dash warning lights went on as usual, however when I turned the key to the start position, starter did not spin but all the warning lights did go out while holding the key to the start position and I hear a click under the dash. Starter does not click, no noise at all from the starter. Almost like the power is getting interrupted before it got to the starter. I had to call AAA for a tow. He tried to jump it but I knew the battery was up. Once home I tried to move the shifter to different positions to check for park switch failure. Electrical connections seem all tight, lights are on strong, windows work well with good power. Im going to try to jump the solenoid to see if the starter spins. If I can get in there without arcing out something. PLEASE ADVISE
steve
Zonasteve

Hi, the click should be the starter relay, as you probably know already, try to get a jump, did they already do that? If so, then I would check all connections first, from the battery to the alternator, down to the starter. For corrosion or loose connections. Then check the battery voltage, if you havent replaced the battery yet, you can always bring it to autozone to have it tested for free, charge is five dollars, (if I remember right). Then of course, your alternator may be at fault if it takes a jump then dies.

Legitimate007
I have checked the connections and all seem to be tight. The battery is good. I did not load test it but the lights are strong and the power windows go up and down like the motor is running. What next?

Zonasteve
Check the auto shutdown relay

Legitimate007
Im going to poke around under the hood today. Where is the auto shutdown relay located? Is that the relay that is clicking under the dash when I turn the key to the start position? Also I was thinking. This car has VATS system. Could it be a bad VATS module? Is that common?
Steve

Zonasteve
The crank relay is in the underhood accessory wiring junction block on right strut tower.

Check every fuses below and components in between-See Start EWD

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_s0_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_s1_36.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_s2_33.jpg

You have a clicking sound when you try to start it. Have you checked the voltage going to the starter itself from the other side of the relay? If you are getting voltage I would look further into the starter itself. There are brushes in the starter that sometime get fouled up making a bad conection to the armiture. Try to have someone try to start the car and use a rubber hammer and tap the starter. This happened on a couple of older cars I had. If it works then the starter is bad.

M_H_RITZEL
Could ba the starter, but that usually gives some warning, what does the security light on the das do, try this: Have you done a relearn on the pass-key?
GM PASS LOCK RELEARN- Ignition to " run" position, try to start and let key return to " run" position
Approx ten minutes security light will go off
Turn key " off" and wait 5 seconds
Repeat 2 more times for a total of 3 relearns.
Turn key off, then start it.
No ASD in yours, it's not a Chrysler product.

Merlin2021
Thank guys