ENGINE WARNING LIGHT ON

2001 BMW X5

Engine problem
2001 BMW X5 6 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 86,234 miles

while driving car, engine wqrning light went on. What is this about? Serious? Should I continue to drive car? Service date set up in 10dqays-will car hold out?
Stevie0728

The service engine soon lamp is an indicator that there is something in the emission control system that requires service or attention. It could be something as simple as a gas cap that was not reinstalled correctly or perhaps a fault with a sensor. Regardless, the fault will need to be extracted and should not cause or be a factor in driving the car for the few days until service has been scheduled

Dr. Hagerty
My 2001 BMW X5 has all kinds of false warning lights on the dash. At the same time, the transmission went into emergency mode where you have no control, the ABS Brakes, Anti Slip and brake lights all came on. It appears that I am have a freakish voltage or battery problem. When I shut the car down, it acts like it can’t start and the battery is drained. Click, click, click is all you hear when you attempt to start it.
I purchase a new battery today, it worked for 10 minutes and the process started over.
I hear it can be a voltage regulator or alternator problem.
If I understand correctly, the car needs a voltage regulator along with the battery to stabilize the voltage. When the voltage is fluctuating, many of the sensors fail to work properly.

This is all of course just speculation. Any ideas or help would be great!
Rob
rob@borrowfromrob. Com

Rkoellner
This is answered in the original thread. Thx for using 2CarPros

Dr. Hagerty