Mechanics

HONDA CIVIC EXHAUST PROBLEM

2013 Honda Civic • 45 miles

Just bought a 2013 Honda Civic EX & after driving it, had dizziness, sore, dry throat, face hot & red, along with pains in lungs & heart & a generalized sick feeling. I had the defroster & heater on most of the time when driving it. I know about exhaust fumes & engine gases, such as carbon monoxide & nitrous oxides & immediately did some research on the internet & found out these symptoms were connected with these engine gases, with the most obvious problem being the nitrous oxides.
I read that when the catalytic converter does its job, it makes more nitrous oxide in the process. So, the problem is, why are these gases coming into the car cabin mainly thru the defroster & however else.
It is particularly frustrating since this is a brand new car. Can you please give me your take on this problem & what I can do to fix it. Thanks.
Avatar
EM7
March 11, 2013.



Before you blame it on the exhaust system, try sitting in the car for a while without running the engine. If you still feel sick, blame it on the interior fabric.

I ran into a similar situation about ten years ago with a woman from Stevens Point, WI. Her throat was seriously burned in a house fire, and that made her extremely sensitive to the exhaust coming in through the fresh air vent from the cars in front when she was in traffic, but she found too that it was the interior of her car that she had just bought. After extensive research into her sensitivity, she wrote a book about her findings. Sorry that I don't remember her name or the name of the book.

The exhaust systems of most cars built since the '96 models are so extremely clean that you can suck on the tail pipe and live to tell about it. Basically you'll get bored is all.

Caradiodoc
Mar 11, 2013.
Can I ask if you ever found out the cause of that problem with your car? I have a 2013 Civic EX and the same thing is happening. The car is less than five months old and my husband and I are having the same exact symptoms when we drive the car: flushed face, dizzy, headaches, feeling out of it/spacey, chest tightness, sore throat. We also have high blood pressure after driving in the car and a metallic taste in the mouth. There is a slight smell of chemical/metallic funk that is absorbed by our clothing we wear inside the car, too. We're scared to drive it, as the last time we did--which was on the way to the dealership to have it looked at--my husband ended up in the ER with cardiac and neurological symptoms. Really scary, and CO meters don't seem to pick it up.

Did you ever find out what was causing the leak/what the leak was (what kind of chemical(s))? Was it resolved?

Tiny
13Civic
Dec 4, 2013.
Hi 13Civic. Hope you get a reply from EM7. This is about the fourth or fifth case I've heard of but the other cars were years older. All of them were Hondas. It has to be related to the fabric. Seems to me someone figured out it was the headliner, but I don't know that for a fact or what the fix is. In at least one case the dealer bought the car back.

Caradiodoc
Dec 4, 2013.
Thanks for your reply, Caradiodoc. That's good to know. I don't think it's related to the fabric of the car, as sitting in the car without it on does not produce the same awful physical sensations that take hours to go away. Yet, when the car is turned on (even just idling), it's like the Twilight Zone within minutes. Very scary. Thinking of getting a state-certified and licensed environmental air tester who specializes in car fluid detection to test the cabin's air while off and then again while on to see what's actively coming in from under the hood and/or under the car into the cabin. That would at least identify what's made us so sick. We'll see how the mechanics do in the meantime in trying to diagnose what's happening.

Tiny
13Civic
Dec 4, 2013.