WHAT WOULD CAUSE WHITE SMOKE TO COME OUT OF MY EXHAUST

1995 Honda Civic • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 220,000 miles

I recently had to replace my engine when I replaced it I changed all belts, hoses, cleaned the surface of the head and the block, and put all news gaskets in. When I went to go start it up is was running fine and than a couple of minutes later it starting blowing white smoke out from the exhaust in thick clouds.
Apac408

White smoke is an indication of a blown head gasket or cracked head.

ImpalaSS
Let the engine run for a while. It could be residual oil in the exhaust system and it might take a few days of running to get them cleared. In the meanwhile monitor the engine to see if you have coolant losses or overheating issues

You mentioned replacing the engine, why did you have to remmove the head?

I had to remove the head because I blew a hole threw my engine block. The connecting rod cracked off. A new thing I discovered is I took all of the spark plugs out and cranked the motor to see if any coolant would squirt out and nothing but I did notice that three off my spark plugs are covered with engine oil. Does this mean I have bad piston rings, o-rings, or a bad valve seal.

Apac408
I know you replaced the engine but why was the head from the new engine removed? Did'nt the engine come as a complete assy? Do you mean you only replace the short block?

Spark plugs covered with engine oil can be due to 2 things, bad plug seals under the valve cover or O'ring under the cam carriers.

Yes I did mean that I replaced the short block and as far as the spark plugs you don't think it could be worn piston rings

Apac408
No, it is a problem at the head and is not the cause of the excessicve smoke. Have you been running the engine and is the smoke still there?

I only ran the engine for about 30 minutes and shut it off cause it wouldn't stop smoking, was afraid that leaving it on would cause damage. Should I run it for a while

Apac408
Yes, let it run for a while longer to see if the smoke decreases. Ensure you ahve sufficient engine oil.

Were the valve seals replaced?

No I didn't replace the valve seals

Apac408