AC AND TENSIONER CLICK

2009 Ford Escape • 70,000 miles

The metalic click is when I turn on AC from tensioner (the sliding of two silver rings as in the pic) and sometimes during acceleration when I exeed 1 RPMor less often 2 RPM reading. Wat to do?Is this normal.
note: the sound is from metalic silver ring of tensioner

Bebobebo

ARE YOU SURE THIS IS NOT WHERE YOUR CLICK SOUND IS COMING FROM?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp8pXmlFq_w

THIS IS THE CLUTCH ON THE A/C COMPRESSOR ENGAGING AND DISENGAGING IN THE VIDEO ABOVE

IF YOU THINK YOU ARE HAVING PULLEY PROBLEMS, SNATCH THE BELT OFF AND SEE IF THEY WILL TURN BY HAND----THE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY WILL NOT TURN WITH YOUR HANDS

IN THE VIDEO ABOVE, INSURE THE A/C CLUTCH PULLEY TURNS BY HAND (BELT OFF)......THIS WILL FREEWHEEL ON IT'S OWN BEARINGS....IF IT DOES NOT, THE CLUTCH IS BEARINGS ARE FAULTY

DO NOT STICK YOUR HANDS IN HERE!!!! WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING!!!!

WITH THE BELT INSTALLED, ***WATCH*** THE A/C CLUTCH PULLEY WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING---HAVE YOUR PAL TURN ON THE A/C CONTROLS AS YOU WATCH---MAKE SURE THE PULLEY STILL TURNS WHEN THE CLUTCH ENGAGES

IF THE COMPRESSOR ITSELF IS LOCKED UP (DESTROYED INTERNALLY) WHEN THE CLUTCH ENGAGES THE PULLEY WILL NOT TURN OR IT WILL TRY AND USUALLY SQUEAL

I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE THE PULLEY....OR THE COMPRESSOR ARE NOT LOCKING DOWN ON YOUR RIG

WATCH OUT FOR THOSE PESKY MOVING PARTS!

Thanx, but iam sure the click from the tensioner. This is hybrid car so it is need driving belt to work?Which can do the click. Why on acceleration also click there?

Bebobebo
I mean driven belt for AC to work ie need engine to run

Bebobebo
I MEANT TO TAKE THE BELT OFF---JUST TO TEST YOUR PULLEYS FOR BEING FREE

SHOULD ONE BE DRAGGING OR LOCKING UP---THIS WOULD AFFECT BELT TENSION

TO LOOK AT THE OPERATION OF THE A/C CLUTCH. YES, THE BELT WOULD HAVE TO BE RE-INSTALLED (OR LOOK AT THE OPERATION OF IT BEFORE YOU REMOVE IT TO TEST THE PULLEYS.)

I RECKON OVERALL WHAT I WANT YOU TO SEE IS---DO ALL OF THE PULLEYS TURN (WITH A/C ON) OR ARE ANY OF 'EM NOT TURNING AND THE BELT IS DRAGGING OVER THE TOP OF THEM.

BELOW IS A PIC OF A PULLEY THAT STOPPED TURNING---THIS JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE A TENSIONER PULLEY (COULD BE ANY OF THE PULLEYS, METAL OR PLASTIC). THIS USED TO LOOK LIKE THE PULLEY IN YOUR PIC

THE LADY CONTINUED TO DRIVE IT FOR OVER A WEEK WITH IT SCREAMING FOR A WHILE. IT FINALLY GOT QUIETER (FALSE SENSE, THAT IT HAD FIXED ITSELF!)

THE 2ND PIC (NOT A GOOD PIC) SHOWS WHERE THE BELT "SHINED UP" THE METAL AS IT MELTED THE PULLEY AWAY. FINALLY THE BELT JUMPED OFF AND HER INSTRUMENTS WENT WILD. THIS WAS THE ONLY REASON SHE STOPPED DRIVING!

I'M JUST SORTA SUGGESTING THIS BE SOMETHING YOU AT. IT VERY WELL MAY NOT BE YOUR ISSUE. BUT COULD BE THE START OF IT

YOUR TURN

Thanx, I think no broblem in pulley the sound looks from tensioner it self. Could be from spring inside tensioner? The click from sliding twwo metal parts of tensioner as shown in pic. This is my car tensiner

Bebobebo
REMOVE BELT

PULL TENSIONER ARM TOWARDS ENGINE AND AWAY FROM ENGINE

IT SHOULD NOT MOVE....REPLACE IT IF IT DOES

IT SHOULD ONLY MOVE SIDEWAYS TO TENSION THE BELT

TO KEEP ME FROM HAVING TO HUNT AND PECK A BUNCH---AS FAR AS BUYING PARTS, THIS POST THAT I LINK YOU TO MAY AID YOU...IF YOU'LL READ IT!!!---JUST REMEMBER TO FIND THE BEST CODES FOR ANYWHERE, YOU MIGHT HAVE TO DO A LITTLE RESEARCH...JUST GRAB A NEW TAB AND PUT IN, "PROMO CODES FOR [WHEREVER]", THEN FIND THE BEST DEAL FOR YOUR APPLICATION!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2001-ford-escape-changed-2-spark-plugs-wrong-order-put-old-one-back-on-car-turn-o

I JUST LOOKED UP YOUR PART--THIS IS MY RESULTS

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Suggest&langId=-1&searchTerm=belt+tensioner+assembly&vehicleIdSearch=444885&searchedFrom=header

THROW IN AN ITEM OR TWO YOU NEED TO GET IT JUST OVER $100 (OIL DON'T WORK...FIND OTHER USEFUL STUFF)....LOOKS LIKE "FABU" WORKED ONCE AGAIN $20 OFF UNDER $100---$40 OFF OVER $100....I DON'T KNOW WHEN IT EXPIRES

IF YOU ARE LOST WITH MY "RURAL LINGO" OR MY "JUMPING AROUND" OR HAVE A QUESTION BEFORE YOU COMMIT TO BUYING ONLINE--THEN PICKING UP AT STORE (WAITING AN HOUR), LET ME KNOW

I'M JUST HERE TO HELP...I MYSELF RECENTLY DISCOVERED THIS AWESOME WAY TO SAVE! I TRY TO HELP AS MUCH AS I CAN. I WISH SOMEONE HAD EMPHASIZED THIS PURCHASING POWER TO ME SOONER .....TOO BAD YOU DON'T HAVE A JEEP CJ!

http://www.2carpros.com/makes/jeep/cj7

LET ME KNOW HOW THINGS ARE GOING

(YOU MAY EVEN HAVE TO TAKE ME TO LUNCH!) LOL!