VOLKSWAGEN JETTA PISTON PROBLEM

2008 Volkswagen Jetta • 67,500 miles

At first I was just doing a pad change on my wifes car. After I finished, the brakes were soft. So I then bled the brakes hoping thats what was wrong. There was some air in the lines and the brake firmed up but constant pressure the pedal would still drop slowly. So I asked around and someone said either master cylinder or caliper. I had trouble with the driver side caliper during the pad change where the piston came out and really had trouble getting it back in. So I thought that was it. I replaced the rear caliper and nothing changed. Now im being told its probably the brake booster and my wife just never noticed and it was already leaking. I just dont want to spend anymore money and time on unnecessary parts. What do you think? Thanks - Cameron

If the brakes were fine BEFORE the repair, then it is something that was done incorrectly.

Cable parking brake or Electric?

If cable, turn the caliper piston all the way in and then turn the piston back out until you can just get the caliper back over the brake pads and
the rotor. With the caliper mounting bolts tight, wiggle the caliper side to side (in and out), should have a mm or 2 play. Once you pump the
pedal, that play should be gone.

Too much freeplay will cause a low pedal issue and parking brake issues once the pedal is pushed and the piston is pushed out towards the
pads. Because the self adjustment is not taking up the initial play correctly.

Thomas

Exovcds