I NEED ADVICE FOR MY FAN SWITCH CONTROL FOR AC/HEATER

2007 Nissan Altima • 60,000 miles

The fan switch control for the AC/Heater comes on like clockwork about 20 - 30 minutes after driving the car. I have manual temperature controls and replaced the fan switch control assembly with no luck. I have had better success when I place a space heater in the car on the passengers side pointed towards the console for 30 minutes then remove it and start driving, the heater fan motor will start after only 5 minutes of driving, sometimes right away. It will run for hours once started and sounds perfect, but if I stop the car for an errand leaving it off for 15 - 20 minutes, it will take 15 - 20 minutes for it to come back on. During the summertime, it is the same pattern with the AC - it will take 5 - 10 minutes for the AC to come on, but winter time seems to take much longer. Please advise. Thanks!
Erin664

I have attached the schematics for you to use while testing. Find out where the power is being held up during that waiting time. Then you know what part to replace.

Rivermikerat
Thanks for those - however when I tried printing them they came out all blurry - I am unable to read the text at all. I tried saving them and printing from my desktop but that didn't help. Is there anything you can suggest?

Erin664
Check your private messages.

Rivermikerat
All,

I am having the exact same issue on a 2007 Altima as well, did you ever find out what the problem was?

. Thanks

Cecortez
I have the same issue. The problem doesn't repeat itself when I drop it off at the dealership so they are unable to troubleshoot it.

I have a 2007 Nissan Altima. The issue began in November 2012 (just before the 5 year warranty ended). I woke up early to go to work, it was cold outside and the heating or A/C would not turn on. There is absolutely no noise or air blowing out of it. I have tried turning the car off and on again but this only works occasionally. After several minutes (2-10 mintues), the A/C and heating unit will start blowing air.

It seemed to happen more often last week when the temperatures were as low as the mid 20s at night.
The dealership changed the blower motor, control head, and recharged the A/C in November 2012.

Now, the warrantly is expired and the dealership can not troubleshoot it. I took the car in Friday night and it worked perfect all day Saturday. And of course it acted up for us Sunday morning! It's difficult to get it to the dealership when it's acting up.

Anyone else been able to troubleshoot this issue?

Heatherglovinsky
Check to see if there is power getting to the blower motor and switch when the problem occurs.

Rivermikerat
I have the same exact problem with my 07 Altima. Heat only comes on 10 -20 minutes after running. Uggg I changed the blower motor got new one and still does the same thing. Can you please help me figure this out. I also brought it to my neighborhood service station and they dont know whats wrong with it either? Uhhh HELP please!
~ Elece

Elececal
The blower motor is powered by a relay. Check the image attached. It shows the location for the blower motor relay. See if it is energizing as soon as the blower is switched on.

Rivermikerat
I figured out the problem and solution thanks to a guy from Minesota on AltimaForums. Net! We did exactly what he said and now we have heat any time we want it! The radio only works when it wants now - but we know how to fix that. Just have to buy new relay - they are about $30.
Here is a copy/paste of the helpful text from the discussion thread: Hi, I was able to fix the problem, the blower motor works great now. Here's what I did. That relay is located in the instrumental panel fuse box ( behind the fuse box). Remove the cover for the fuse box, you'll see the fuses, unscrew one screw next to it, and there's one more screw to be removed, remove the panel below the steering wheel, it's very easy - just pull it down. Now you have easy access to fuse box, on the other side of the box there are 4 blue identical relays ( part number ends on 42. There's about 10 digits number). Relays are located like this. *__**__* ( relay1, space, relay 2 relay3, space, relay 4). Blower motor relay is relay 1. Ideally would be to replace it ( you can buy it at the dealership or online). What I did, I replaced relay 1 and relay 2 ( relay 2 is for radio), everything is working great both blower motor and radio, if one day radio stops working I know what to fix. But I need heater more than radio, specially living in Minnesota.

Erin664
Thanks for the update Erin664.

Rivermikerat