VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT ENGINE PROBLEM

2006 Volkswagen Passat • 87,000 miles

My name is Brian and I recently bought a 2006 vw passat 1.6 petrol car in a private sale. I filled the car having got it back to my home last friday, and today being wednesday I have been monitoring the fuel gauge out of curiosity. I have noticed that the dial seems to be going down quick. So far I have been only driving to and from work which is approx 10 mins drive from one end of town to the other. I prev had a 1.4 vw bora and the dial would stay roughly on the same spot for 2-3days doing the same amount of driving. I appreciat it is a bigger engine, but I do not know if it is my own wrong perception or if this is correct? As a rough estimate, the lines between sections on the dial: doing two days to and from my place of work as said above (4 journeys total) will roughly take from one line to the next. I was wondering can you advise on this ratio if it apears average or otherwise? Any and all help much appreciated. Thanks in advance! Brian
Brianc1986

The best way to figure out your consumption, is to go through a whole tank of fuel (till the red or till the low fuel light comes on) and write
down the total km's traveled. Do this 2 to 3 times and then use the average of that as your baseline.

Once you have the km/liter ratio, you can compare it to the actual "advertised for that vehicle" rating.

Automatic, standard, weight of vehicle etc all play a role.

Thomas

Exovcds
The km/liter indicator in the display is a "calculated at that time" figure. If it matches what you come up with, then that's all you can do, aside
from changing your driving habits / style.

Thomas

Exovcds
Thank you for the reply, I will try your advice

Brianc1986
Also keep in mind that if the engine were using too much fuel (running rich), the engine computer
will set a trouble code and turn the check engine light on.

Thomas

Exovcds