NOT HEATING PROPERLY

2001 Volkswagen Passat

Heater problem
2001 Volkswagen Passat 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 62,000 miles

About March of 2007, I heard some noices coming from the blower in the dashboard. It sounded like clicking noices; maybe like the fans of an impeller or a motor lstarting to lock up. The noise eventually went away and coincidenty it seemed that it was only blowing cooler air. The car has the automatic controls; I beleive it is called Climatronic. Spring and summer came and the A/C set on Auto worked fine. Winter came again and with relatively mild temperatures, it appeared the heating was OK. When it got really cold, it takes a long time for the temperature guage to go to the middle of the dial if at all and it takes at least 20-30 minutes to get warm air (not hot) to come through.

Any help will be appreciated

When I first mentioned it to my mechanic he said it may be the blender door and it would cost $1,000 to fix. I am reluctant to bring it to my VW since I have been dissatisfied with them.
Ninoscar

If the engine doesnt heat up or heats slowly the performance of the heater will suffer. Try a new thermostat to try to get the engine up to temp sooner. Does the fan in the dash work ok at all speeds?

Jack42
Yes. The fans works at all speeds. Today, it was almost 60F and the engine temperature went to the middle of the guage quickly, but when I increased the termperature digitally to 80F it still was blowing cool air. Thanks.

Ninoscar
Need to check the heater hoses when car is warmed up to be sure hot water is getting to the heater core. If they are hot, then it could very well be the blend door under the dash

Jack42