A WHINING SOUND ON FRONT LEFT WHEEL SIDE

2005 Toyota Corolla • 107,774 miles

Hello there,
How are u doing?
I have corolla 2005, My car had replaced front left wheel hub bearing 2 weeks ago (my own mechanic) and Last wednesday my car had flush auto trans at Toyota Dealer as toyota recomended because found contaminated or smells burn. (Mileage 107,114).

Unfortunately, Recently I heard a low whining from the front left wheel area while I was driving around 30mph.

So I tried to drive on highway 55-60mph the sound steady not loudly.

I tried drive 30-45mph on quiet place (early morning) and I change the gear on neutral and turn off the engine and the car is slowing down and the sound still there. The sound like "mmmmm mmmmm"
when the car is stop completely the sound is gone.

Any ideas? I am afraid of the bearing on the auto trans.
Many thanks.
Day_fa

I believe the wheel bearing is the one causing the noise. Either something had not been done correctly or the wheel bearing is bad again. That can happen due to improper installation.

Actually, rear (right-left) wheel hub bearing and front right-left wheel hub bearing installed by my own mechanic and all perfect. 2 weeks later, the sound is coming from the left side area. I complained and he replaced the brand new one as the guarantee and the sound is still there.
Should I replaced the left side wheel bearing again?
Do you think after Toyota service center did flush fluid and replaced the fluid on auto transmission would make problems on the auto transmission?
I am looking back from you soon.
Many thanks.
Warm Regards

Day_fa
You need to test and confirm which wheel is emitting the noise. Check the CV shaft central bolt torquing.

When wheel bearing was installed, were they pressed in correctly?

I think he pressed correctly because he expert on replacement wheel hub bearing.
Does CV shaft central bolt torquing is CV joint?

Many thanks.

Day_fa
Yes. If the nut is not torqued correctly, it would result in bearing damage.

I will check CV shaft central bolt torquing tomorrow.
General question, Do you think there will be make problems after doing flush fluid and replaced the fluid on auto transmission that reach over 100,000 mile?

Many thanks.

Day_fa
That is hard to answer. If the transmission has a problem that is related to bad fluids, it might work better with new fluids but if the trans is failing, this is not going to help.

Honestly, I feel my car run smoothly and faster after my car had flush fluid auto transmission and replacement. The shift lifter is ok. The gear is finding automatically the right gear as before flush during climbing road or flat road.
My car does not has sound like "click-click-click" while turning left or right.

I just afraid that the sound is coming from the auto transmission.
Do you mind to give some signs on automatic transmission problem?

Many thanks.

Day_fa
With vehicle coasting in neutral and engine off, the transmission should not be emitting any noises. Such noises are from the wheels and the wheel bearing is the most likely source.

Transmission noises would vary with load and gears up or down shifting.

Hello there,
Actually I do not know how the CV shaft central bolt torquing correctly? And here is the way I check the CV shaft central bolt torquing.
So I just checked by my self the CV shaft central bolt torquing this afternoon with out taking off the tire.
I tried to grab and hold it like doing shake hand the inner side on front left side and I shaked it to front and back like pull something (the direction of pulling is to the bearing side) and there is sound click-click from the central side not from the bearing side. I tried the same way on the right side and there is sound click-click but not really loud like the left side.
If you do not mind give instruction the correct one. Thank you very much.

Day_fa