ENGINE AND LOSS OF POWER LIGHT CAME ON.

2005 Saturn Ion • 120,000 miles

No problems then all of a sudden engine and loss of power light came on. Car sputtered and wouldn't accelerate.
Jtanderson0444@yahoo.com

Have you checked for trouble codes?

What is a trouble code and how do I do that?

Your vehicle is equipped with a computer. The computer monitors nearly everything. If there is a problem, it records the problem and stores it. Using an OBD2 scanner, a person retrieves trouble codes from the computer. There are many different codes. Each one identifies a different problem. Once the code is obtained, a shop or anyone can look up the code and identify where the problem is coming from.

I am not sure where you are located, but most nationally recognized parts stores will scan it for free and tell you what they find.

If you get the code, let me know and I can tell you what it means.

Just to add to this one if the reduced power light is coming on then your having a failure in your electronic throttle system. Get the computer scanned for codes and post the exact code numbers not the code descriptions.

Is electronic throttle control problem typically an expensive fix?

When I started the car this morning it ran fine. Could the problem have corrected itself? Owners manual said that was possible.

It all depends on what the actually problem is on how much it will cost to fix. If the computer doesnt detect the problem next key cycle the system resets itself. It will only go into reduced power mode when the computer detects a problem in the throttle system. Usually the problem doesnt fix itself get the codes read and post them.

Saturn had a federal recall on catalytic converters on ions that were effected by this but only on consumer complaints its pass the 5 year period for freem replaced but thats what it sounds like. I use to work at a Saturn dealorship.

Rollentideman
A plugged cat doesnt turn on the reduced power light that turns on because of a issue with the throttle by wire system. They said the power light came on meaning the reduced power light. Plugged cats will not turn that light on but thanks for the info on the cats.

Saturntech9 your correct I miss read it and jumped the gun thanks for replying and correcting that.

Rollentideman
Page 1 of 2