STARTING PROBLEM

2004 Volvo S40 • 164,000 miles

When I start my 2004.5 volvo s40, it lights up n clicks couple times but wont start. But if I use jump cable then the car starts. When I drive, it's back to normal. As soon as I turn off the engine, it goes back to not starting up unless I jump cable it. Does this make sense? I have called auto shops but right now I dont have the money to go get it looked at. I was thinking if you can can give me some ideas of what to check n what might cause this problem. Thank you
Cvang89

Bad battery, bad connections at battery. Check voltage at battery when engine is running. Should be 14+ volts.

Fixitmr
But when I remove the positive from the battery, the car still runs. Could it be any electrical problem.

Cvang89
You should not remove terminal while car is running. This tells you alternator is charging and keeping power going to run on. Have battery load tested. Check your connections both ends of battery cables. Clicking means insufficient amperage (not voltage)to run starter. Which is why other thing work. They dont take high amperage to work. Try headlights and see if the are bright and stay bright for a few minutes.

Fixitmr
So when I check the headlights, should the engine be on running?

Cvang89
Engine not running. Headlights draw amperage and can drain weak battery fast.

Fixitmr
Okay thank you so much. So if the headlights dont bright longer than usual, I probably need to get a new battery right?

Cvang89
Maybe? If they are bright it at least indicates fairly good electrical connection at the battery. If they go dim in ten min it is a pretty good indicator of a weak battery.

Fixitmr