I JUST HAD THE CLUTCH REPLACED, AND NOTICE THE ENGINE BEING VERY LOUD AT HIGHER SPEEDS.

2004 Scion xA • 121,000 miles

The engine isn't knocking or pinging, it just seems loud. Not over-exerting, although when going 75 mph on the freeway it's at 3500 rpm, but as the car is going at higher speeds it just gets loud. So loud you can almost not hear the change in engine sound when shifting gears. Is it the exhaust manifold or manifold gasket (nothing has been done to the exhaust system yet). I am the original owner, and the car has been serviced regularly, and always at the dealer. I do not smell exhaust in the car, there's no rattle, no clicking, just loud, like an engine sound overlay over the normal engine sound, if that makes sense.
Davevfx

It could be an exhaust leak. Does it sound like the engine is loud or is it more road noise? Just FYI, they removed the exhaust to replace the clutch.

The engine sounds loud, not like road noise. So I should take it back to the dealer and have them look into the exhaust (look for a leak)?

Davevfx
That is what I would recommend. It could be something that wasn't properly tightened. If I could hear it, I would be better able to tell you. However, based on your description, it sounds like an exhaust leak.

Let me know if you can upload a video to youtube so I can hear it. I realize that is a lot of fooling around, but I could give you a better answer. I've had a lot of people do it and it is helpful.

Let me know.

I'll take it back to the dealership, and if that doesn't solve it I'll make a youtube video. I figure a tripod with the camera aimed at the instrument panel so you can see the gauges and hear the noise. I'll get back to you tomorrow one way or another. Thanks, Joe.

Davevfx
So I took the car back to the dealer and the problem turned out to be a bearing in the right front wheel, which was repaired today. My big question now is, is it time to dump the car (121,000 miles) or will I easily make it to 200,000 without spending a lot more. I've spent $1,700 in the last 2 weeks ($1,400 clutch, $300 wheel bearing). Are the other 3 wheel bearings about to go? I had a 1986 MR2 that I put 184,000 miles on, sold it to a friend, and he drove it to 215,000 before he sold it. Toyotas are historically good cars that are not too expensive.

Davevfx
Like any car made today, the engines seem to run forever, but people forget there is a lot of other things that can go bad from wear. You should be able to get 200K out if it without too many problems, but things do wear out. The bearing is a perfect example. That, however, doesn't mean the other three will go tomorrow. I had a Dakota that I ran to 180K before I replaced the original clutch, but I took good care of it. I sold it at 260K and it was still running good. I had the usual issues with sensors going bad, the exhaust system. But nothing that was what I considered major. So, I would say you should be okay. As you mentioned, they are good cars.