KIA SORENTO FUEL FILTER PROBLEM

2004 Kia Sorento • 76,000 miles

Hi there! I have a 2004 Kia Sorento EX, V6, AT, 76000 miles. I had been plagued with engine issues for quite some time [loss of power at lower speeds, stumble and hesitation, rough idle, misfire at freeway speeds, improper shift timing] and spent a lot of money on fuel system cleaners and engine restore products, to no avail. Finally got a new fuel filter installed, and now the engine runs beautifully. Instant throttle response, consistent pressure, even power distribution throughout RPM ranges, much smoother idle, and engine noise on acceleration is all but gone.

Here's my question: would it be ok to use a fuel system cleaner [Techron Concentrate] with this new fuel filter? Engine idle is not as buttery smooth as I know it can be and hard acceleration to freeway speeds still feels just a tad restrained. Apparently, my old fuel filter was so clogged, my mechanic said he was surprised the vehicle hadn't stalled. So, I would imagine that none of the fuel cleaning products I used ever got past the fuel filter and there might still be a bit of residual dirt in the fuel injector filters.

I've used fuel cleaning products on other cars and have had nothing but terrific results. But considering my situation - where I once had a completely clogged filter and now have a clean one - I want to be sure it won't cause any new blockage. Or, I may very well be jumping the gun: the fuel filter was changed only two days ago, so is it possible that the vehicle needs time to readjust itself and the issue will go away on its own? Thanks so much!

WORK ALREADY PERFORMED: new spark plugs, new throttle position sensor, new engine air filter, new fuel tank air filter, new in-tank fuel filter, engine pressure valve replacement, fuel system cleaning service [before changing fuel filter].

I am not a believer in additives as they rarely work. The fuel filter is a once a year replacement service anyway. If you want the injectors cleaned, get it done professionally by a shop as that is the only real way to clean them.

From the sounds of your issue, I bet you got some bad fuel somewhere.