I HAVE A XLT 4.0L 6CYL AUTO.

2004 Ford Ranger • 54,000 miles

Truck makes a howling noise (sounds like its coming from the engine compartment) when I floor the accelerator. If it accelerate slowly it is nonexistent.
Southpaw3612

Are you sure the noise isn't coming from the clutch fan?

Im not quite sure. Im nothing of a mechanic. So im unsure of where that is located. Reading forums, ive read that it could be the serpentine belt or belt tensioner possibly.

Southpaw3612
They are all close to the fan clutch. The clutch will sound like a jet noise or very loud fan.

Nah, it sounds more like a squealing, maybe I described it wrong

Southpaw3612
Try this. Start the engine and open the hood. Take a small cup of water and pour it on the belt while the engine is running. Does the sound change?

Let me know. Also, wear old clothes and protect your eyes because the water will most likely spray out at you.

It doesnt do it at an idle or regular driving. Shall I still try this?

Southpaw3612
IF YOU IDLE 'ER ON UP, DOES IT DO IT?

HAVE YOUR PAL POUR THE WATER

NO SENSE IN GETTING WET, NOW THAT YOU KNOW YOU WILL!

IF YOU TAKE A PIECE OF GARDEN HOSE, OR HEATER HOSE ABOUT 4 FEET LONG, STICK ONE END IN YOUR EAR, USE THE OTHER END LIKE A STETHOSCOPE. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO ISOLATE THE AREA, WHILE YOU PAL GIVES IT ENOUGH PEDAL TO MAKE IT SQUEAL

COULD BE BEARINGS IN AN ACCESSORY DRIVEN BY THE ENGINE, IF IT GETS DOWN TO IT, REMOVE THE DRIVE BELT AND SEE IF IT STOPS.

PLEASE DO WATCH OUT FOR THOSE PESKY MOVING PARTS UNDER THERE, THEY WILL PUT A HURTIN' ON YOU!

OK---RETURN WITH SOME REAL POSITIVE RESULTS