ENGINE DIED. WON'T START BUT CRANKS OVER

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser • 54,000 miles

I was driving at about 20 miles an hour and the engine shut down. Coasted into parking lot. Tried to start it. The first thing I noticed was the starter turned over as if the battery was low. That can't be it. New battery last 3 months. It would not fire.
Is it possible the timing belt broke causing valves to not open and close and to much pressure to let engine turn over freely?
What else could have caused this? PCM maybe?
GentlemanJim

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

Update: Had the car towed to the Toyota dealer where I bought it 3 years and 6 days before the failure. I had purchased a 36,000 mile or three year warranty at the time of purchase. My luck, the engine failed 6 days out of warranty. So I had the service department confirm my suspicion as to what was wrong. It was the timing belt and that failed most likely to the leaking water pump. The coolant can compromise the belt and cause it to break. From what I read here and elsewhere, that can be a $1200 repair bill. But the cut me a break and are repairing it for $725.00. Still not cheap, but I feel like it's the best $725.00 I ever spent. I am so upside down on that thing that trading it in would be even more costly. So this is the first time I have ever had a good experience at any new car dealership service department. Makes me wonder if the fact that I had bought 3 cars from them over time. All used, but it seems I might be a valued customer after all.

GentlemanJim
Just wanted to add. The first time I came to this forum maybe 4-5 months ago. I had posted that my PT Cruiser died while driving. I pulled over and the ignition was dead, yet lights and all accessories worked.I was advised to check all fuses and fusible links. What I found was a blown 20 amp fuse under the hood that knocked out the ignition and the starter motor. Yes a lousy little fuse that can stop the engine and the starter motor from engaging. Talk about a weak design!
I wish it was this simple this time.

GentlemanJim