CLICK BUT WILL NOT START.

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 74860 miles

My wife purchased a 2002 PT Cruiser " Dreamcruiser" Series 1 2 days ago. She went out to go to work this morning and it just clicks 1 time then nothing. I made note that the headlights and dome lights are all bright and do not dim when you try to start the car. Here is a list of the things I have done:

1. Took Batt out - Tested bad - purchase and replaced Batt.
2. Took out Started - Tested Good - put starter back.
3. Replaced Batt. Terminals
4. Checked all fuses and they are fine. (Did not check fuselinks. Not sure what they are)
5. Checked for corousion on cables. (None)
6. Made sure all doors were shut solidly.
8. Nearly got divorced over it.

This car is my wifes dream. I purchased it to make her happy. PLEASE help me make her happy again. Thanks.
Ph0t0bug

May need to find the cause of the bad battery. Did you happen to have the alternator tested as well? It could be the cause of the bad battery.

Try jump starting the vehicle to see if it will start. If so, you know it is in the charging system. If it doesn't, it may lie with the ignition system. You will have to test for power at the ignition switch.

You should check this link out for information on testing your ignition system.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_test_an_ignition_system.htm

Hope this helps..
Thanks for using 2carpros.com!

Bluelightnin6
Wellll. This morning after having my coffee I decided to take a chance and try to start the car. I turned the key and it did the same thing accept when I held the key to the start possition for about 5 sec it finally turned over and the engine started. After that I turned the car off and turned it back on several times with no delay. I personally think that the Ign Switch could be the problem. Its just to bad I did not figure it out sooner. Thanks for the info and I am going to check out the Ign Switch as per your instruction tomorrow.

-Wilson

Ph0t0bug
Yesterday morning I got up and went out for the coffee again. The PT did not start. Did not start all day. Havent had the heart to go out this morning and try it yet. Im trying the Ing. Testing this morning.

-Wilson

Ph0t0bug
Dont know how or why but after installing a new starter the car is working fine. Just thought I would post this to help others know that sometimes the testing machine is wrong.

Ph0t0bug
Great. Glad you got if fixed and thanks for that info. Yeah, it never hurts to double check anything.

Thanks for using 2carpros. Com!

Bluelightnin6
Ok.. the car is up to its old tricks. Wont start... just clicks once when the key is put in start. I was thinking about changing out the Ign Switch and got into the column and found what you see in the picture. Looks like the previous owner took something out of the car that they had added and put a piece of wire with wire nuts on the yellow wire (see the pic) Now... I went to look to find out how much this wire harnes is and they want $1900 for the part!!!!! The first question is could the wirenuts be causing my problem and is there some cheaper place to get this part. Other than that... well it is still not starting unless I sit there and turn the key off and on and off and on and eventually it will turn on.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/299397_IMG_0182_1.jpg

Ph0t0bug
Sounds like the igntion switch has to catch its sweet spot on the start circuit of the switch to crank the engine over.

Ok. I replaced the Ignition Switch and it still does the same thing. Someone told me something about a switch in / arround the transmition but I dont think that would be the problem because if I put the transmission in drive and try to turn the car over it dose nothing. Not even click. Someone else said something about a linkable fuse but I dont know where that is so Im not real sure that could be the problem. Im taking out the starter in the morning and run it to PepBoys for them to test it again along with the Batt. Just to hear them say the starter is fine and then I will put it back in and the car will start fine. Anyone have any other ideas?

Ph0t0bug
Could be the park and neutral switch. The engine should not crank at drive gear position its not make like that only on park and neutral-

Ok. Where would that be located? Ill be MORE than happy to check it next : )

I have 24 hours to get this thing back up and running.

Ph0t0bug