CHEVROLET IMPALA RADIATOR PROBLEM

2004 Chevrolet Impala • 160 miles

My Chevy impala 2004 which was running perfectly in summers suddenly has started heating up to full gauge as winters started and I turned on heaters.
At first I thought it is due to radiator leak. Once I found the jug full but no coolant in radiator. Checked at a workshop for leak but no leakage found. Twice this happened that there was nothing in radiator and jug was full. I put some coolant in radiator.
Nothing improved. Car heats up as soon as u start driving even if there is coolant in radiator and jug. Fans working fine.
Strange thing is that car starts cooling down as I press full gas and Accelerate sharply. Even at fast but constant speed car heats up. Then I have to put it in neutral while running and pump full gas and it starts cooling but heats up again as I start normal driving or stop At signals.

I do feel there is some drop in radiator level but nothing seems dripping and parking is dry.

Someone told me it might be radiator cap and thermostat issue but really I don't see signs of leakage.

Any ideas?

Mfk Toronto.
Rokbeat

If you found your radiator empty on several occasions, all that coolant has to be somewhere. It can't just disappear.
Again, make sure there is no external leak anywhere; there are many places coolant can leak beside the radiator itself (including the radiator cap as you mentioned - a $5-10 fix).

If you are absolutely certain there is no external leak, check your oil and your transmission fluid. If your cooler is leaking, you could have coolant in your transmission. Some coolant could also end up in your crankcase (oil) due to a bad lower intake manifold gasket for example (common problem on this car). You could also have a bad head gasket (coolant ends up in your cylinders and burn resulting in excessive white smoke at the tail pipe). Those are all bad scenarios.

RenaudTN