TCL ISSUE?

2003 Mitsubishi Diamante • 100 miles

I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Diamante. The Traction Control is acting up. It mostly says the TCL is off. However the problem has been gradually getting worse. It has now started to shift from Drive to neutral. Back in forth at low speeds and has NO power. Barely crawls up to speed. At higher speeds it's good. I am pretty good with cars, but not so much on the traction control because I hate it anyways, lol. Would cleaning the sensors help the problem. Is it brake dust build up or does anyone know of the fix for this as it appears to be a very common problem with the make.
Shane73

It sounds more like you have issues with the transmission.

If the trac is off, then the car should work normally. You need a scan tool to find the area of failure. Cleaning sensors usually never works.

Get it checked at a trans shop to verify

Thanks for your reply Roy. I know that the throttle position sensor effects both the traction control and the egr on this car. During inspection the egr was coming up on a scan. They got the light to stay out long enough to put sticker on it for me but made me aware of it. Do you think the throttle position sensor could be the problem based on the symptoms? I know this is another common issue with this year for Diamante.

Shane73
Never heard of the tps causing any issue with traction control. Never heard of it causing issues with the egr either.

What scan? What code? What data were you looking at that brought this conclusion?

Ha Ha. Never mind. It doesn't matter. Your initial thought was 100% accurate. Just went out and aggravated the transmission and it is whining and banging and just flat shot. Thanks for your help.

Shane73
God luck