4.0 TICKING PROBLEM.

2003 Ford Ranger • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 125 miles

I have a 2003 ford ranger 4.0 and I replaced the serp belt, after 2 days I noticed that there was a ticking noise coming from somewhere under the hood. I was wondering if it was possiable to tighten the serp belt too much. The ticking is constant, from when I start it up, idling and while driving, also the check engine light came on.
Mcplyplyr1

Engine Light on---Do this 1st (may solve all issues). Take it to Advance Auto or Autozone for FREE CODING. Maybe get a FREE DIAGNOSIS and parts while you are there (the "been there a while", "mature feller" is who you want to see). However the parts ain't free!

Ticking may be Lifters/ rocker arms. Get 3 feet of 1/2" heater hose. Cram one end in your ear, use the other end as a Stethoscope to pin down your noise. WATCH OUT FOR MOVING PARTS!

Let me know your results

The Medic

Yea, thats what I was going to do today. Are replacing lifters difficult to do?

Mcplyplyr1
It is kinda involved to do the new lifter thing.

I recommend whats in this link that I am providing, prior to any tear-down!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/ford-f-150-1995-ford-f-150-lifter-noise

Let me know if it helps

The Medic

I was thinking, my wife put 89 octane instead of 87 octane, could that be it?

Mcplyplyr1
USUALLY THE HIGHER OCTANE HELPS----RUN IT OUT SEE IF THAT WAS IT (EZ ENOUGH)

HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN GOING ON?

HAVE YOU PINNED DOWN THE ORIGIN WITH THE "NELSOSCOPE"?

Well, I started the truck up this morning and the check engine light was off, so I didnt take it to autozone. I didnt have time to get the heater hose yet ( Christmas and family). It does sound like its the lifters. Im moving from Colorado to California in 6 days (driving) will the lifters kill the truck when I do move?

Mcplyplyr1
Also, I know putting the wrong gas in the truck will cause hesitation when you accelerate, its been happening since she filled up with the wrong gas, I was just wondering if it could cause other problems.

Mcplyplyr1
I would not worry about the fuel--it will be gone soon!

"Rattle or Ticking", if it is constant and not really loud---do as I suggested earlier---if it is terrible teletyping sound X 1000. Get it checked out. Other wise everything sounds like a "worn engine".I would TRUST it. If the Check Engine Light comes back on. Take it immediately for the coding, before the light goes out. This will give you "Insight" to what the computer is seeing and this may be an EZ fix--whatever sensor is causing it.

The Medic