CAR WON'T START

2002 Saturn L200 • 180,000 miles

When I turn the key, to start the car it just cranks and nothing. The three lights I have on my dash board are: check engine, oil, battery. The Check engine was on there for an O2 senor that I haven't got replaced yet. The oil appears to be a little low, and I've check the battery and I have a full charge. How can I be sure if it is the ignition control module, alternator, or starter, or another issue?
Indysteve

Probably better off with a mechanic. "Just cranks and nothing". What does that mean? I assume you mean the engine cranks but doesn't start and run, but when I make assumptions I'm usually wrong.

There can be more than one diagnostic fault code stored so just because you already know of one for one of the oxygen sensors, they should still be read to see if there's other codes related to the problem.

The oil warning light is for low oil pressure, not level. There won't be any oil pressure if the engine doesn't run so that light had better be on. That is not a clue to this problem.

The generator recharges the battery and runs the car's electrical systems when the engine is running. It has nothing to do with a no-start condition.

You already said the engine cranks so why would you be questioning the starter?

Start by having the codes read to see if there's anything related to the problem you're having. Keep in mind those codes never say to replace parts. They only indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis. It is often more cost-effective to visit a mechanic, especially for those of us who install numerous parts to try to solve a problem.

Just to add to this one does the gas gauge work fuel gauge work power door locks keyless entry work etc if you have thlse options?Also the security light on solid or flashing?I would also check for codes like cardiodoc said. Those cars have a high failure rate on there body control modules causing no starts. You could could also check for spark I have seen some bad crank sensors on those.

Thanks saturntech9. One thing I forgot to mention is all fault codes on all car brands have a list of things that must be met to set that code and one of those things is almost always that certain other codes are not already set. The Engine Computer compares sensor readings and operating conditions to each other to figure out when one of them is wrong. If there's a code set already, the computer knows it can't trust certain sensor readings so it won't run tests on other circuits that use the defective readings to compare to. That means you could get a code related to this problem only after you fix the cause of the oxygen sensor code and erase it.

After get a test code I Got P0300. I replaced all my spark plugs, and it still not firing up. I had the battery tested and charge when I got the spark plugs. Any other suggestions?

Indysteve
You never answered the questions I asked you in my last post?Also have you checked for spark yet?