WHAT COULD PROBLEM BE?

2002 Nissan Maxima • 137,000 miles

I was driving at night about 45 mph and when I went to accelerate the car did not, slowed down to idle speed. I pulled over and put car in neutral and engine reved up when I accelerated. Put in gear and car would not accelerate was able to travel about 2 miles and car engine killed and battery appeared to be dead. Car would not re-start. I did not get an alternator warning light prior or at any time. I took it to a mechanic and they said it was the alternator. They replaced it and charged the battery. I picked up car and drove 15 miles and the same thing happened. Was able to drive at 5 to 10 miles per hour for about 2 miles and engine killed. The car sat idle for 2 days and I was able to start the engine without charging the battery. The battery is a Sears Die hard and appx 2 months old. Somehow I feel that the alternator was not really the problem to start with?

Thanks, Help,
glen
Glink

It never was-try having the exhaust system checked for restriction-start here. Also go to this link: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-has-low-power-output

Why does the electrical system, battery go dead if it's a plugged exhaust system?

Glink
The acceleration problem could be caused by the exhaust system-you probably have a short circuit draining the battery or the battery problem itself

I experienced lost of power while driving in my own Max 2002. It turned out that my engine oil level was low, and in my model, ignition timing is dependent on oil pressure. Adding oil to the correct level fixed my problem. So check yours out.

Cmdrdatatx
Thank you for coming back and leting us know and Merry Christmas