BRAKE LIGHT CAME ON TONIGHT, AFTER COMING ON LAST FRIDAY. NEVER DID BEFORE SINCE NOVEMBER LAST YEAR.

2002 Hyundai Accent

Last year in mid november, I was about to leave my home when I saw my brake light was on. I didn't go anywhere. I put some brake fluid in and the problem was solved. Never came back on.

I parked my car in June this year for 4 months.

After getting back on September 20th, I replaced my battery and sparkplugs and got my car up and running again. I drove my car without a hitch. Seemed to be running better than ever! I was 5 minutes from my destination when my brake light came on. I put some more brake fluid in immediately after I parked. After shopping for about 2 hours. I left and had no problems with the light coming back on. That was last friday, September 23rd. I've done many many miles and hours of traveling since that day. Well tonight on my way home, I was about 10 minutes from my destination from again, having driven. But not for longer than 15 minutes, it came back on again.

Did I not put enough fluid in because of when I put it in last week? Does it make a difference when the car is hot as compared to cold when putting in fluid?

Please help shed some light on this! Thank you

Kendra
KendraCarlson

It doesn't matter whether your car is hot or cold.
The most likely cause of your problem is a leak in your braking system. When the fluid gets low the light is supposed to come on. It sounds like the system is working correctly.
Since your fluid keeps getting low it means that there is a leak in your braking system somewhere. Most likely a wheel cylinder seal or something.
It is important that you get this looked at right away.

Promechanic
When I put brake fluid in last week. I didn't have to put much in at all. It's dark here, and I cannot go check it out now. But I haven't had a problem with it for nearly a year. It's been parked for most of the year. Wouldn't I see a leak on the ground of some sort?

KendraCarlson
Sometimes, but sometimes you don't really notice it.

Promechanic