GRINDING SOUND WHEN STARTED COLD

2002 Honda Civic

I am still figuring out the detials of this problem but what I have is only when it is cold when the engine is started there is a loud grinding" sound only until the car is put into gear once it stops it needs to sit overnight to do it again
Davewithdiesel

Is this an auto or manual trans? Have you replaced anything yet and if so what?

Racefan966
Automatic transmission nothing replaced yet oil is full transmission is within the marks this is for a friend's car she is going record the sound when it acts up again and walk around the car while recording

Davewithdiesel
Ok it could be the starter sticking, which would make lots of noise. Once you have the sound loaded up I will listen to see if it sounds like the starter sticking to the ring gear on the flex plate. If so I would start with checking the starter relay.

Racefan966
That was my theory I will be checking that when I can

Davewithdiesel
Ok when you are ready let me know and have a digital multi meter handy and I will look up the diagram on it and walk you through the test ok.

Racefan966