GRINDING NOISE.

1998 Honda Civic • 293,000 miles

Have a grinding noise from the right front. No popping, sounds like metal on metal. Automatic transmission. Front end up in the air (on jack stands) and put car in drive. Left side turns. Right side turns some, slows down, speeds up, stops, turns intermittently. Does this sound like the transmission is going out or would a bad CV joint do this?

Thank you
Long3681

When does this noise occur? At what speeds? The most likely cause is brake pads that are worn down and should have been inspected or replaced a while ago. A wheel bearing will sound like an airplane engine.

It is normal for just one wheel to spin when running the car in gear. If you block that wheel the other one will start to turn. Be careful though when you do that. If you slide a block of wood under the tire it can shoot out and hit something.

It starts the grinding immediately when starts moving. Up in the air, as soon as the hub starts turning, the grinding starts and stops when I apply the brakes. The rotors are not scored and there still appears to be plenty of pad. The grinding sound seems to be coming from the area where the CV axle enters the transmission and is very loud.

Again, I thank you for your time.

Long3681
Since you can make it do it when the car is jacked up, try listening with a stethoscope. You can find one at any auto parts store or Harbor Freight Tools. They're not very expensive.

An outer cv joint will make a clicking sound, but probably not when the car is raised up and there's no force on it. Look if the right half shaft has a center bearing in the middle of it. That would be more likely to make noise than something in the transmission.

Thank you, I'll give that a shot.

Long3681