GRINDING NOISE

1996 Honda Civic

1996 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 129, 00 miles

For the past few months my transmission, atleast I think its coming from my transmission, has been making what sounds like a rotating grinding noise. The noise starts at any random, but usually lower, RPM in first gear and continues through the rest of the gears. However, it seems that the lower the gear the louder the grinding noise is. The only time I found that this rotating sound stops is when the clutch is engaged. I am positive it is something that is rotating because when you engage the clutch and you listen closely, you can hear the griding / spinning noise slow down and come to a complete stop in about a second or so. I recently had my clutch replaced, the noise was still able to be heard before I replaced it, so my shitfing and all that is fine. Do I need a new transmission or a rebuild? Just looking for some help before I take it to a shop and get charged way over price just to have the problem diagnosed.
CashMoney10

That kind of noise can be traced toi main shaft bearings, but it can also be the throw-out or pilot bearings. Did they replace the throw-out and pilot (If applicable) bearings when they did the clutch? Did the noise change at all with the new clutch? Does the noise change if you are turning?

Jack42
The noise remains the same while turning, no noticable differences and no nothing became better or worse when they clutch was changed. The mechanic who did my clutch is my cousin so I will certainly be asking him about the bearings because to my knowledge he did not change any bearings. If you have any other tips / suggestions please let me know. Thanks for the quick response!

CashMoney10
Usually a wheel bearing or a diff problem will change when turning, so it doesnt sound like that. Ask about the bearings and get back to me. Check the brakes to be sure something isnt rubbing as well

Jack42