SPORT TRAC

2002 Ford Explorer • 114,000 miles

This is a problem that has been on going. And I am going to buy this truck. Everything runs fine with the truck
until you fill the gas tank up. If you fill it to about 75% it is fine, no problem. But if you fill it up full, it will run and then shut off just like it is out of gas. Once it gets down to 3/4 the problem goes away and it runs just fine. It may be a fairly easy problem to fix, just wanted to see if anyone else has this problem and able to fix it.

Thank you
Gwn67

Do you have any codes in the computer? Also if you loosen the gas cap will it run good again?

There are no codes, but I might try the gas cap thing.I had thought that perhaps it might be a defective cap causing the problem.?

Gwn67
There is also a vent tube which runs along side the main gas tank filler tube. If this tube is clogged it will cause this problem.
Also, the charcoal canister (near the gas tank) will fill with liquid gas when you overfill the gas tank. This floods the engine with gas causing it to stall.
You'll have to go under the vehicle to check the canister to see if it has liquid gas in it (it is designed to only handle gas fumes).

Freemba
Also if the vent valve is not working correctly.