CAN YOU MAKE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON REPAIRING MY GASOLINE TANK

2001 Subaru Forester • 180,000 miles

I broke 2 of the bolts side by side on the tank replacing the fuel pump what should I do? Can I use a gasket sealer and put all the other nuts back on, or is there another repair. The tank is plastic with two pieces of metal spot welded together with bolts pressed into the top piece. I see no way to replace the two bolts. Please Help
RonL

The fuel pump holding bolts are important for holding the housig in place and preventing leakages. You can use a gasoline resistant sealer but there is no guarantee that you would not have any leakages as gasoline is highly permeable.

The best alternative is to replace the tank but you can try drilling out the broken stud and install new ones with application of sealants to the studs holding area.

Can you drill the bolts out or drill two new holes right beside the old ones and go right through into the tank? If so, reach inside and push a pair of new bolts through with a little silicone gasket sealer on the heads. If I were doing this, I'd try to braze or tack-weld a piece of coat hangar wire to the two heads to keep the bolts from spinning.

Install the nuts with a little "Spray White Lube" from the Chrysler dealer. Other places have the same stuff but that's the one I'm familiar with. It's a lithium-based grease that will guarantee those nuts will come off easily the next time. Coat the bolt threads too when you're done and ready to reinstall the tank.