OVERHEATING WHILE ON FREEWAY

2001 Honda Civic • 171,000 miles

I have a 01 Civic EX that has had overheating issues for a while now. Here is a list of the work we have done so far.

-Replaced radiator
-Replaced timing belt/water pump
-New head gasket
-New cooling fan
-System flushed
-New thermostat
-Oil changed
-New air filter

After all this being replaced the car still overheats on the highway. Driving around town even long distances at under 60 mph it will be fine and not overheat, but after driving for about 10 minutes on the freeway the temp starts going up. Turning on the heater full blast helps a little, but it still stays over the halfway mark on the temp gauge. Any suggestions for what else to look for?
Crotalus84

Wow, you have replaced everything there is. Have you checked the ignition timing? Have you checked for a partially plugged catalytic converter?

I had the catalytic converter checked today. They said it is fine.

Crotalus84
Is it running normally other than the overheating?

It feels like it has lost some power and gas mileage is worse than normal. Also, when it does start to get hot the a/c starts blowing warm air.

Crotalus84
Also, the coolant level has not dropped since doing the head gasket so there is no leak.

Crotalus84
I would start by checking to see if the converter is plugging. Also, you may want to check ignition timing to make sure it isn't off.

The muffler shop said the converter is not plugged. I will check the timing and post here after I do it.

Crotalus84
Let me know what you find.

I was thinking about your problem. By any chance did you use a new thermostat that opens at a lower temp? The factory one would have opened fully at 195 degrees. Also, is there any chance that the new thermostat is stuck open?

These questions may sound crazy, but if the thermostat stays fully open all the time, I have see where the coolant flows so fast through the cooling system, the radiator can't cool it off.