RANDOM OVERHEATING

2001 Honda Civic

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 97,000 miles

My Honda Civic has recently overheated on a couple of occasions. It is random and so therefore has me a bit confused. It has done this two times only and not again since.
The last time it did overheat I waited for the car to cool down completely and removed the radiator cover. After filling the reservior, I started the car and let it run for 20-30 minutes while watching the gauge to be sure it did not overheat. During this time I observed the tank on the radiator expecting to see the water begin to circulate after the thermostat opened. The gauge never got more than half way (no temp gradiant on the gauge) and the water eventually got hot and overflowed some from the top out of the cap opening.
It has not overheated since but I am concerned as this my wifes car.
Neilfgow

I would check the thermostat cou ld be stickin on occasion also the coolant temperature switch and relay and its wirng harness could have a short in it causing it to stop working if moved the right way.

Blackop555
Hi neilfgow,

You refilled the reservoir, did you check for coolant loss in the radiaror?

If you are losing coolant, there ought to be a leakage somewhere and when the level is full, you won't get any overheating. It would occur once the level runs low, in radiator side.