5 SPEED

2001 Honda Civic • 212,000 miles

Ok so I have been chatting with you guys for a day or so and I have replaced the throwout bearing, inspected the input shaft that sticks out. The throwout and pilot bearing were bad so I replaced them. My car is still making a grinding noise when clutch is out but stops when clutch is in. I noticed lastnight that I had it in 1st gear and the clutch pushed in and I was rolling and the noise was still there even though the clutch is in but when I stop and hold clutch in it is quiet what could this be?
Luvnhondas

With the clutch in the transmission is disconnected from the engine, in gear and rolling the transmission is still turning under load even with the clutch in, the only difference is in gear and rolling with the clutch in the wheels are driving the transmission not the engine, I still feel that this is a transmission bearing fault, have you checked the oil for contamination as described in earlier posts?

Mhpautos
I did check oil and there was no contamination in oil.

Luvnhondas
I agree, it sounds like the input bearing in the trans.

Does this happen when you're at a dead stop, when rolling, or both? IF it's only when rolling, does it happen if you're coasting at speed in neutral? If so, try this: Find a hill and roll down it with the engine off, trans in neutral and foot off the clutch pedal. Let me know what happens.
There could be problems with the main shaft or the output shaft.

Rivermikerat
Ok I just rolled down a hill with car off and clutch out and in neutral and it still made noise! I guess ill need a new tranny right

Luvnhondas
Unless you want to try replacing the input bearing yourself. You should be able to do it yourself with the right tools and Chiltons or Haynes Motor manual.

Rivermikerat
Ok I wont have the money for a new tranny until november do you think it will last till then what can happen to it. I have heard stories that I could wreck if its not fixed is that true? It has 213.000 miles on ot so ill prolly put a new one in

Luvnhondas
There's no telling how long the bearing will last. It could be months before it fails catastrophically, or it could be days or weeks. It all depends on the condition it is in now and how hard it's driven, among other things.

With that many miles on it, a new/rebuilt one or rebuilding that one is a very good idea.

Rivermikerat
Ok but will it make me wreck like people are telling me or just not shift anymore?

Luvnhondas
All depends on how it fails. Seizing up stop power from being transferred from the engine to transmission. Meaning loss of drive power and probable rapid deceleration. Disintegrating can cause the input shaft to vibrate and move around, sending fragments into the transmission and clutch assembly. Which could eventually cause the transmission to seize up and would require major parts replacement or a new/rebuilt transmission from a parts store.

Rivermikerat