HONDA ACCORD SENSOR PROBLEM

2001 Honda Accord • 1 miles

2001 Honda Accord radiator fans are not coming on and just noticed that the coolant temperature sensor is broken. Fuses are not blown, not sure about fan relay though. Question is. Does the sensor operate the fans? Or could it be the relay or a short in the circuit somewhere? The fans do operate by jumping battery direct. Any help is greatly appreciated.
MoneyCount

Greetings

The coolant temperature sensor lets the fan's relay know when to open and close the circuite, so if the sensor is bad then it will not allow the fans to operate.

Bluelightnin6
Now on the 2001 Accord the coolant sensor is the broken sensor I have (which is on the side of the block) and not the sensor on thermostat housing correct?

MoneyCount
The one on the thermostat is to signal the gauge right?

MoneyCount
The sensor near the thermostat is for the temperature gauge, yes. The 2001 accord actually has a radiator fan switch, not a sensor (image below). Is this the part you are talking about being broken?

Bluelightnin6
The one that is broken according to the diagram is the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor(ECT). So your saying that its the Radiator Fan Switch thats bad? Because where it shows the Coolant Temperature Gauge Sending Unit here I dont have that. There's just a plug there.

MoneyCount
Yeah, the coolant temp gauge sending unit is only for the 98 and 99 models, the ECT sensor replaces that sending unit on your model so you will have the ECT sensor and the fan switch. The best place to start diagnosing a faulty fan would be fuses and the relay though as they are the cheapest and easiest to test. But since the ECT is bad on yours, that is most likely at fault.

Bluelightnin6
Ok, great. Im replacing the ECT now and hope thats it. The fuses and relay are fine. So if after replacing the ECT and fans still dont come on then its probably the fan switch correct? I'll keep ya posted. Thx

MoneyCount
The fan switch which is the one on top of the thermostat housing right?

MoneyCount
Yes, that is correct. The switch is on top of the tstat housing as shown in the previous graphic. Let me know how it goes.

Bluelightnin6
I sure will. And once again THANKS for all the advice! : )

MoneyCount