WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?

2001 Honda Accord

2001 Honda Accord Ex 2.3L 4 cylinder. I blew a head gasket and had it replaced but now Car starts but won't rev up past 2500 rpm. Was told it was ECM so we tried two different ones and it will only start with the new ones only the original ECM already in car.
Montreal

Correction only starts with original ECM not the new ones.

Montreal
Thats because the new ones need to be flashed before installing.

Take them back. Re check your timing before anything. If it is ok, check the cat converter as the coolant on the exhaust may have damaged the cat.

The Two ECM parts were used so would they still need to be flashed and if so what does flashing it mean?

Montreal
And the Cat Converter is not plugged it has good exhaust flow

Montreal
It's acting like it's not getting the fuel it needs its acting like something is shutting it down.

Montreal
You need a back pressure gauge for the cat test. Feeling the exhaust is not accurate.

Used ones will never work as they have been programmed to another vehicle. Flashing is an operating system specific for the car. Runs about 150 to flash if it needs it.

Get a fuel pressure check as well.

Make sure the timing and compression are good.

Ok so basically I need to return the used ECM's that I purchased because they won't work anyway and take my car and get the cat tested done to verify that it's not an exhaust issue and also a fuel pressure check and then if that as well as the timing and compressions are good then I would need to get my original ECM flashed and more than likely this would fix the issue?

Montreal
Why are you always going back to the pcm? Did you have this diaged for an issue prior to the repair? It is the very last item to be concerned with at this point. You are not even close to discussing this possibility

No I didn't have a diagnostic done until after the head gasket repair and that's when the person who did the repair noticed these issues which wasn't an issue before the repair so we took it to a shop with updated equipment which at first said it was the timing and once the person working on my car went back and checked the timing and said it was lined up exactly how it was prior to the head gasket work the shop then said that it then has to be the ECM.

Montreal
You need a second opinion here from someone more familiar with these types of repair.

Page 1 of 2