MY DOESNT LIKE STARTING WHEN COLD

2000 Land Rover Freelander • 78,000 miles

I have a 2000 'X' reg Landrover Freelander commercial, currently with 78,000 miles on the clock. The car drives fine and runs brilliantly, however, it doesnt like starting when cold! When the engines warm, not a problem, when cold it splutters into life after about 10 to 15 seconds. I have had the glow plugs changed and ran some injector cleaner through the fuel system, but it has made no difference. The battery is also new. What else could it be?

Look forward to your response
Billy27

Cold start problems are usually due to the glow plug or its circuit.

Was the glow plug circuits tested?

Another possible cause would be the fuel lines. If a return hose or somewhere along the fuel lines has a leakage, air can get into system. When this occurs, the fuel pump would need some cranking to get the engine started.

Hi,
thanks for your response. I dont think the glow plug circuit was tested no. I have inspected the engine and im satisfied there are no leaks, certainly nothing obvious. I know that when the glow plugs wre changed the diesel return pipe was found to be corroded at the connection, but this was replaced with a screw tight bracket, which I have not had a problem with since. In relation to the fuel lines, would this not occur when the engine is also hot? Because it is literally when the vehicle been left sitting for 5 hours plus.

Billy27
A minor leak would not allow sufficient air to get into system, especially the return line. Afte sitting for long hours, the fuel filters etc being at a higher position would allow air to seep into system.

I have encountered many such cases and the leaks are mainly dampness around joints usually.

Ok cool,

for the sake of £10, is it worth changing the fuel filter? It does actually look like its never been changed.
And is it worth putting some strong tape around the fuel joints etc?

Billy27
If the fuel filter is long overdue, replacing it would be agood idea.

Tapes do not help. Ensure the clamps are secure and if it is of the spring type and hoses are still in good condition, ie still soft, relocating the seated position might help. If hoses are hardened, replacing them would be advised.

I have replaced the fuel filter, its made no difference! Could it be an ignition problem? I ask because the glow plugs are 'humming' really loud when the ignition on but engine not started. On turning the key the engine sounds like it wants to fire up but it's just strugling.

Billy27
Did you test for leakages at the fuel lines?

The glow plug relay should hum a little.

Try this. The next time before you try to start the engine from cold, manually pressurise the system by pumping the manualpump on fuel filter housing until pressure is felt and try starting.