FORD FOCUS ENGINE PROBLEM

2000 Ford Focus • 144,000 miles

I have a 2000 ford focus wagon 4 cylinder and a dual cam 16v zetec engine. A code pops up during the diagnostic basically saying I have a exhaust leak or soemthign that is making my car shake so bad that it shuts off, I have no idea whats going on sometimes it will run great but mostly it runs like crap ha. I just want my car fixed when I approach a stop light in drive or have it in park it shakes alot then dies. I have no idea whats going on could you possibly help?
Donovan18

It could be an exhaust leak near an oxygen sensor which will make the computer think the car is running lean. This will in trun make the car run rich and misfire. There also may be a reason for the broken exhaust. Your motor mounts may be broken. You can check them by putting the parking brake on, opening the hood to where you can see the engine from the drivers' seat and then put it in gear and give it a little gas. If it moves more than and inch you probably need motor mounts. You must replace them all at once along with the transmission mounts. I f you don't do this then the newest mounts will faill quickly.

Yeah also the car when I mess with some tube going from the back of the engine to the box where the permanent air filter is at I take that tube out and I put it back in after a few seconds and then the car runs perfect? Liek what the heck? Ha damn fords like my car has always ran perfect but out of nowhere backing out of my friends driveway it just died ha ive never had problems with it before so why now?Every now and then me and my friends just mess around with it and itl run perfect like a new car but then the next time I shut it off and turn it on again it runs liek shit

Donovan18
The codes that popped up were p0171 and p0113

Donovan18
P0171 is system too lean Bank 1
P0113 is Intake Air Temperature Circuit

So the system probably runs okay when you pull the pipe because it has that exhaust leak near oxygen sensor and thingks it is running lean when it is actually dumping in gas to compensate and is running rich. So, extra air leans it back out.
The intake air temperature sensor is bad and that could explain a lot too.

I am giving you a walk through diagnostic to help you. Just use the link below;

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-misfires-or-runs-rough